Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The immersion is starting to kick in

Losing my appetite, feeling lonely, sleeping excessively, and crying easily are just a few things I have stumbled upon recently due to some culture shock. It sounds a little dramatic, I know. But it's been four days now, and I'm happy to say that things are definitely looking up. I finally feel a little bit more comfortable with everything and I'm really starting to absorb more of the Costa Rican culture.

And I am very proud to say that the easiest things I have adapted to are the changes in my living conditions. Taking quicker and colder showers, sleeping with a lack of air conditioning, and using a waste basket for used toilet paper (that's right, no flushing) are just minor things that have influenced me to appreciate the small things in life. Bear in mind, I am not complaining. My family is nothing less than generous. I am very well taken care of over here.

"Pura Vida." The literal translation: pure life. But the significance is much more important here in Costa Rica. It's a way of life, implying that we should live in the moment, that life is good. Everybody here is so calm and relaxed. Nobody's rushing. Nobody's anxious. Talk about adjusting to change!

It's awesome.



Okay and dinner last night...I had some great zucchini dish with ground beef, vegetables, and rice, topped with some cheesy, soup-like sauce. So far, definitely my favorite!

Be jealous. Very jealous. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness. :) I'm so glad you're starting to feel better about things.

    Ps. Cool plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that dinner sounds great. Anything topped with cheese sounds about right for you and me...Chheeeeese! HA

    ReplyDelete