Wednesday, July 7, 2010

La tierra de las frutas



First off let me start by saying that the fruit in Costa Rica is amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. You cannot get fresher fruit anywhere else. Apples, mangos, papaya, bananas, pineapples. You name it. I have never been one for Hawaiian style pizza, but holy cow! There is this cool little cafe next to my university that serves personal pan pizzas for, more or less, four bucks in U.S. money. This is no pizza hut; it's much better.

Okay, a little trivia for you. (Or maybe I'm the only one that did not know this).

Any idea where cashew nuts come from? Fruit! Each one kind of looks like an apple or pear. And in that funny shaped seed on top is a single cashew. Yup, just one. I was told the fruit itself is pretty disgusting, but from every single one we get another little teeny tiny cashew nut. Thought that was pretty interesting.

I've also included a picture of what my lunch has been looking like every other day. Or rather, what the guy who serves it looks like. He makes some really great calzones and other things that I have yet to try--burgers, burritos, empanadas. He sets up his stand everyday outside the school at about 12:00. I make it a point to get there no later than 12:05. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment